Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Some Very Sad News

Unfortunately this past Sunday afternoon our neighborhood was hit by an F3 tornado estimated to be ½ a mile wide. The majority of the homes here were destroyed. Our home suffered some extensive damage but not to the degree of that of our poor neighbors. As a result our garden has for the most part been destroyed. We spent two days cleaning and I was feeling a little better about it, but I am sad to report that the heavy equipment used to move out the trees today wiped out another large portion of it as well as turning the lawn into complete mush. At this point I’m feeling that we don’t have the money or the strength to continue with our garden dreams. Only time will tell… I’ll be posting some pictures very soon, and we will continue to salvage what we can. Meanwhile we are blessed to be safe and healthy.

6 comments:

Phillip Oliver said...

Oh no, what terrible news! I'm glad to hear that you were not hurt and your house is ok. I've often wondered how devastating something like this would be. Hopefully you can begin anew with your garden. Nature bounces back fast. Keep your spirits up and keep us posted.

Colleen Vanderlinden said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the damage to your home, garden, and neighborhood---but I'm very glad that you're okay.

My thoughts are with you and your neighbors. I'm sure your thoughts aren't much on gardening right now, but if there's anything I can do for you in the way of seeds, please ask. Between myself and some of the other gardenblogger seed exchange members, we should be able to fill most requests. Phillip is right: thankfully, nature bounces back.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I'm so sorry about your property damage and your neighborhood.

It's tough right now and I'm sure you feel defeat, don't give up though.

There were many tornadoes that went through Tuscaloosa when I lived there. The destruction is amazing.

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you and your neighbors had to go through this. I know about how the heavy equipment can ruin a garden. I found this out after Hurricane Katrina. I hope that after you regroup, you will start gardening again. I know it helped me a great deal to garden again after a major clean up. Try not to be discouraged.

Jan Always Growing

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

I just read the news from Phillip's blog. This is my first visit. Jasper is my birthplace.

During my youth we had so many tornadoes that I feel I've spent half my life in a storm cellar. As Robin said, the destruction is just amazing.

It is tragic to see the damage to your home and garden. You have a tough road ahead but I hope that you will find the courage and fortitude to prevail.

Dave said...

I'm glad to hear that you all are safe. The recent weeks have definitely been harrowing for those of us in Tennessee and Alabama. It is small comfort I'm sure but look at your garden as an opportunity to do new things. I'm sure you will get back on your feet, just don't give up!