Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Feeling a Need To Be Cozy

All of our outstanding plant trades are finally in and I can hardly wait until next spring. The weather has cooled down to a point that I really don’t feel it’s safe to be planting things any more. We still have some tulips that need to go in the ground. I’m sure we’ll get around to it in the next couple of weeks. I’ve worked in the garden non-stop for the last few months and I’ve reached a point where I feel I need to take a couple of weeks off to rest. We still have plenty of winter projects that need to be done and as promised I’ll be posting pictures of them as we do them.

Jamie and I have steadily been raking and shredding leaves for mulch. It’s so nice not to have to bag them up anymore. I’m thinking since we have a nice thick layer of them in all the beds that they should last thru next summer. A new friend of mine sent me a ‘Journeys End’ canna and I planted it this afternoon. Every time I rake back the leaves to plant something I find earthworms. Every thing I’ve read says that they are a good thing to have in your flower beds. The way it was explained to me is that the worms eat the leaves and then the leaves exit the worms as a nice fertilizer. We will see…

I find myself being more tired than usual lately. I suppose it could be that the constant rushing and rushing and continuous working has finally caught up with me or it could simply be my deep rooted mammal instincts coming to surface wanting me to hibernate. I’m also craving warm foods and time to snuggle under a cozy throw or blanket during my inactive periods. At any rate I’m listening to my body and getting more rest and enjoying the down time.


Wild Blackeye Susan

Wild Blackeye Susan

Wildflower

Wildflower

No comments: