Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What Happened to Jeanette?


Frosty Jeanette 5


The photo above is Chrysanthemum ‘Frosty Jeanette’ and she’s been returning to our garden for three years now. I purchased them for seven cents a pot at the end of the growing season and they’ve always performed very well for us. Though this one looks haggard, they usually produce bold huge displays and the Gulf Fritillaries seem to love them.

Frosty Jeanette 4


Well this year I noticed the plant in the southern most section of the side bed is displaying two colors. Half of the plant is now a pinkish purple. It was really a pleasant surprise to discover.

Frosty Jeanette 3



Frosty Jeanette 1


Admittedly this is not the best photo; I posted it for the purposes of showing the plant and the two colors. I’m really curious to see what color returns next year. Has this ever happened to you before? I wonder if Schnauzer water has anything to do with it... Hmmm. Okay, Every one have a good week. I'm off to see my Reiki therapist this afternoon for some much need attunement. I'm so excited, I'm way over due for some relaxation.

Frosty Jeanette 2

17 comments:

Darla said...

Well you know how we girls like to change our minds...maybe she wanted a new look, lol. It's beautiful for sure. Petunias do this for me. Enjoy your relaxation time.

Southern Lady said...

I agree with Darla. I think it's because they are girls!! Hope you enjoy your Reiki session. Carla

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Perhaps the stress of the drought. I blame everything on the stress of the drought right now. Even my foul mood. :/ The berries on our hawthorn tree are a red color this year instead of the usual orange. I blame the drought for this too. We had to give Luna her holiday bath yesterday, a month early, due to the drought. Too much dust in the air. Aren't you glad you asked?? tee hee. I hope you enjoy your Reiki session.

Jan said...

I think the changing color is just one part of the plant reverting to its parent's color. This happens all the time to azaleas. This process has a name, but I can't recall it right now. I say just enjoy the two colors and your therapy session.

Jan
Always Growing

Gail said...

I can't stop laughing at Lisa's comment. The flowers are pretty pink surprise1 gail

Anonymous said...

When a flowering plant starts changing like this one has, it usually means there has been a change in the nutrients that the plant is receiving. Beautiful!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Why ever the change is happening guys .. it is still a gorgeous plant and I am jealous ! : )
Joy
I think that thing about girls is true ? LOL

Missy said...

I like the pink ones for sure!

compost in my shoe said...

Looks like a reversion to me. But a pretty combo for sure!

Nutty Gnome said...

It's cold, wet, grey, wet, miserable and wet here today but your blog and its lovely photos have brightened my day!Thank you.
PS. Did I mention it was wet?! :)

Jim Longs Garden said...

I love it when plants surprise us with qualities we didn't realize they had. It shows how versatile and tenacious they are, willing to grow and adapt. I think they do it to please us, but I can't prove that.

Skeeter said...

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas...

Jan said...

Stopped by to wish you guys a Happy New Year. How's the garden?

Jan
Always Growing

Darla said...

You guys okay?

scottweberpdx said...

Yeah...I'm guessing a reversion as well...but at least it's a beautiful one!

Phillip Oliver said...

What has happened to Randy???

Unknown said...

I love flowers, they fill the worlds with a wonderful colors... Maybe that was an effect from a global warming?


Windows 7 | Demand Planning | Houston Car Wreck Lawyer