Well Jamie and I got out in the garden this weekend and busted our butts. Our calendar is full for the next two weekends and we knew we had to get this back bed finished. Not only did we get the back bed finished, but we also got the small island bed put in as well. It’s difficult to get an idea of the size of everything by the pictures. To help you with the scale of it all, the small island bed is about 12 to 15 feet long.
The irrigation system has been updated with sprinkler heads to replace the drip emitters that were once under the shrubs. Now, the beds are ready for planting. Jamie and I added almost a half ton of composted manure to the new back bed. We always amend the soil in new beds really well. We usually add an equal amount of topsoil also. In this instance the dirt was in pretty good shape so we didn’t think it necessary. It’s a conservative estimate to say that Jamie and I have added over 6 tons of composted manure and topsoil to the beds that we’ve put in the garden. We’ve also planted almost 400 species of plants in it. One of the biggest problems we’ve faced is what to do with the tons of soil that we’ve taken out 1 wheel barrow and 5 gallon bucket at the time. For every hole that was dug for a plant, there was dirt left over. We also had to remove some dirt from the beds to amend them or else we would have mountains all over the back yard. We have filled stump holes all over the neighborhood! Thank goodness Wade and Jimmy are building terraces in their garden. They’ve taken a lot of it too.
The grass paths that we have left around the beds are 4 feet wide. In their most narrow areas in two or three turns they had to be reduced to just about 3 feet. That’s a little closer than I wanted but we still have ample room to maneuver around the garden. I really love to work in the garden, but I’m not going to lie about it this is one project I am so glad is complete. Whew! Now, on to planting.