Our weekend started off early on Saturday morning. I managed to wrangle Jamie out of bed to ride to my favorite spot to watch the sunrise. However, there would be no sun on this morning. The fog was so thick it was almost noon before the sun decided to make an appearance. That’s okay, at least we got an early start on the day!
We got our new martin house put up and the wrens wasted no time building their little nests in it. We pulled it back down this afternoon and removed all the material they had dragged into the house. Nothing personal against the wrens, but there is a reason why they call it a martin house. I don’t know if we’ll get any martins this year or not, however I do intend on keeping it clean for them if they do show up.
We also put up two new bluebird houses and of course, the wrens found them too. But they’re a lot easier to clean out than the martin house. The martin house isn’t hard to take down, it’s just a nuisance to have to do it.
We also managed to get the remaining two of six poles in place for the climbing roses; you can only see five in this picture. The roses will be trained to climb up the ten foot poles and they will follow a steel cable that will be threaded through the top of the poles. We already have the holes drilled but the cable hasn’t been put through them yet. It will take a little while for the roses to get to that point; meanwhile, the cable can be put in on a later date and that money can be used on something we need now (like more plants for the garden).
Speaking of… We bought and planted several new plants this weekend. We purchased 4 variegated Winter Daphne, 2 Dwarf Alberta Spruce, 2 Dwarf Mugo Pines, a Tea Olive and a Crepuscule Rose. In addition to getting all that planted, we also managed to get the large side bed cleaned up, weeded and were able to get several more things potted up to give to friends.
On our ride back from our favorite nursery, we drove past a concrete statuary place in the middle of nowhere. We decided to stop and ended up leaving with two new planters for the end of the patio; we really like them, too. The plan is to place a bench between the two planters. We are going to place an eight foot high trellis the width of the patio, that will cap off the end of it, behind the planters and bench. It will be placed just behind the three daylilies you can barely see emerging in the picture. I’m not sure what we will plant on it; right now we are leaning towards several different complimentary colors of thunbergia until we come up with a more permanent solution. I’m also considering Evergreen Wysteria or some other evergreen vine. We are certainly open to suggestions and welcome any you may have.
It was a good weekend...