Wednesday, April 4, 2012

In the Garden 04/04/12...


Spring, spring, spring… I was walking around the garden the other day looking to see what is blooming and it never ceases to amaze me how fast things shoot out of the ground and leaf up this time of year. I know you’ve seen most all these flowers before, but I thought I would share them with you again anyway.

This iris is ‘Sugar Blues’. It’s one of the first irises to bloom in my garden and it’s also the very first one I ever planted. When I moved into the house in 1995 the lady next door was kind enough to share her’s with me. Its color ranges from a vivid blue to almost a lilac. I can never be certain from year to year just exactly what shade it’s going to be. Isn’t it a lovely color though?

'Sugar Blues'

Sugar Blues


The amaryllis are blooming too. I just have the typical ones you find in the big box stores. I do however, have a butterfly amaryllis that’s been planted for four years now and has yet to produce a bloom. Each season I think to myself, maybe this year.

'Red Lion'

Red LIon


‘Apple Blossom’

Apple Blossom


While I was walking around I kept hearing this strange little noise. I was certain it was a kitten, but I had a difficult time finding it. I looked thru the hedges into the neighbor’s yard and spotted this little guy lying on the ground under a tree.

DSC04216F


There’s a feral cat that’s taken up residence in my back yard. She’s black as an ace of spades, just as fluffy as she can be with only one green eye. She likes to sleep on top of the lions by the jasmine wall at night. I see her on them when I come home late at night or in the wee hours of the morning. The lady next door had told me her Casanova kitty would be a daddy soon and I guess he’s into the wild girls. Anyway, you’ll never guess where she decided to have her babies. About 10 feet up in this tree...

DSC04219F


She spotted her a hollowed out place and has decided to call it home. I told my neighbor about the kitten and he was able to get it back up in the tree. I wonder if they will think they are squirrels when they start walking?

DSC04217F

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful Iris and aren't most gardeners wonderful about passalongs? Strange home for the cats. Good to see you here.

Randy said...

Darla,
You are Johnny on the spot with your reading girl. I try to post when I can. To be honest, sometimes the passion is there and sometimes its not. I better find some gardening passion somewhere, I'm about to have almost 3000 pounds of mulch delivered. Geesh!

Jan Goldfield said...

Glad to see you again, Randy. Seems as if you have a kitty now. And a most pretty one.
Our last garden at this house is in bloom and doing well. Next year in Arkansas.....

The Bama Gardener said...

I can't believe the kittens are in that tree! I would be worried about them falling out and getting hurt.

Mariihen said...

In Estonia irises bloom in June and some of them even in July :)

It doesn`t mean anything that your blog readers have seen most of these flowers before - they are beautiful and even amazing every year in every garden and all gardeners enjoy watching these images again and again.

PS You can visit my blog if you are interested http://marekodukas.blogspot.com
I think there is a button for translation too :)

Antique ART Garden said...

Looks great, I love Irises. Kittens in a tress, much excitement!